Tax Tip: Are you self-employed?

This guest blog post is provided by the Canada Revenue Agency, which administers tax laws and delivers social and economic benefit and incentive programs.

Did you know?

As a self-employed individual, you have until midnight on June 17, 2013 to file your 2012 income tax and benefit return. Don't forget — you must pay any balance owing for 2012 on or before April 30, 2013, regardless of your filing date.

Important facts

The Canada Revenue Agency's (CRA) online services make filing even easier

The CRA's online services are fast, easy, and secure. You can use them to file your income tax and benefit return, make a payment, track your refund and more. Sign up for direct deposit too! Your refund and any benefit or credit payments owed to you will be deposited directly into your account, putting your money into your pocket faster. For more information, go to

Stay connected (

To receive updates when new information is added to our Web site, you can:

You can also watch our tax-related videos on YouTube.


Posted by San on April 24, 2013
IF somebody is self employed say he has started his own sole Proprietor small company and no income/ sales has been generated in that case does he need to file tax if yes on what critera as he does not have generated any income.

Secondly, is such a self person employed person eligible for employment insurance or any other kind of financial help.

Thank you,
Posted by Canada Business Network on April 26, 2013
Hello San,

To find answers to specific questions about filing tax returns related to income or loss for a sole proprietorship, please take a look at this information from the Canada Revenue Agency. If you are unable to find the answer to your question, please call CRA at 1-800-959-5525.

For information regarding employment insurance if you are self-employed, please see Service Canada’s page on Employment Insurance Special Benefits for Self-Employed People.

Good luck with your research.

Share this:


Government Activities and Initiatives