Preserving our forests, protecting our future
This guest blog post is provided by Environment Canada which is responsible for protecting the environment, conserving the country's natural heritage, and providing weather and meteorological information to keep Canadians informed and safe.
Are you looking for ways to save energy, protect the environment, and make a difference in your community? Canadian Environment Week (June 5 - 11) is the perfect time to take action to make your business greener.
In your office/at work:
- Be energy efficient - check out the ENERGY STAR Savings Calculator.
- Move beyond paper and plastic recycling - check out Recycle My Cell to learn about recycling and refurbishing used computers, fax machines, cell phones, and batteries.
- Limit your use of packaging and encourage customers to bring reusable bags.
- Join the Commuter Challenge (link no longer active) and encourage your employees to leave their vehicles at home.
- Encourage flexible work hours or telecommuting. The more cars we keep off the road, the better.
- Encourage your employees to use reusable mugs and water bottles.
- Have a litter-free lunch week at work! Watch this video if you don't know how.
In your community:
- Sponsor a local park.
- Encourage employees to volunteer at charities that focus on the environment.
- Plant a tree on your business' property (register it on Green Wave!).
- Make a charitable donation to an organization that protects the environment.
For more green tips you can do at work and at home, check out 40 ways to take part in Canadian Environment Week. To learn more about Government of Canada environmental initiatives, visit our ecoACTION website (website no longer active).