Three tips for a successful business blog
If you're looking for an inexpensive and effective way to promote your business, you may want to consider the benefits of blogging.
What can blogging do for your business?
- Help you connect with and engage customers
- Establish yourself as an expert in your field
- Improve your search engine results
How can you create a successful blog? The following three tips can get you started.
Create a purpose for your blog and stick to it.
Even if your ultimate goal is to increase sales, you'll want to look at your purpose from a customer's point of view — what are they getting out of reading your blog? You could use your blog to:
- Share your knowledge and expertise with readers
- Talk about upcoming events such as trade shows
- Highlight new products and services
- Share customer success stories
- Answer your customers' commonly asked questions
For example, the purpose of a health food store's blog could be to share healthy living tips and introduce readers to new products. A bookstore might want to take a different approach — posting interviews with local authors and reviewing new books could be a good way to get customers excited about new titles hitting the shelves.
Update your blog on a regular basis.
Having fresh content is one of the key elements of a successful blog. These tips can help you make sure that you always have something new to offer visitors to your blog:
- Create an editorial calendar and schedule blogs on a regular basis
- Set aside time to write blogs in advance
- Keep a list of topic ideas
Create a plan to generate blog traffic.
To encourage customers to visit your blog regularly, you may want to:
- Add an RSS feed to your blog
- Leverage your existing communication channels: add a link to your website, promotional materials and business cards
- Use other social media channels to get the word out when you publish a new blog entry
For more tips on engaging your customers online, check out our blog Social media: Is your business part of the conversation? and our page on online marketing.
- Date modified: