Developing your website
Your customers want the convenience of finding businesses online. If you don't already have one, you may want to consider adding a website to your marketing plan, especially if your competitors have them.
Even if you don't plan to sell your products online, having a website can be an inexpensive and effective way of advertising your business. It allows customers to find your business quickly and to compare your products and services to those offered by your competitors.
The following information may help you develop your website.
On this page:
For your business to make the most of the Internet, you need to start with a basic understanding of the different technologies that make it all work. It might be a progressive learning curve, starting with getting your computer connected to the Internet by finding an Internet Service Provider (ISP). What access speed do you require? Remember, generally the faster the speed is, the higher the cost involved.
- Choosing an Internet service provider
An Internet service provider is a company that provides access to the Internet. Learn how to choose the right one for your business.
Domain name registration
Before you set up your website, you need to register your domain name. Also called a URL, it is the address that visitors type in to locate a website. You can register the domain name directly through an Internet Service Provider or through a domain registration company.
- Domain names
Are you creating a website for your business? Learn how to choose and register a good domain name.
A basic business website is becoming a standard expectation from the buying public. Your site also provides quick, easy access to your target audiences. When you design a website, it's best to start small and expand as your business grows.
- Plan the website and decide what content should be on it
- Put a team in place to develop and manage the website
- Plan the information flow and structure
- Develop the user interface
Learn more about the website development process.
- Website development process
Find out what steps you can take to ensure your website is developed to best represent your business.
Enhancing your online presence
Make the most of your online presence by ensuring that your website is working effectively for your business. Learn how using the right tools can lead to more visitors for your website; after all, an active online presence is to the benefit of your business.
- Website visibility: Choosing the right meta tags
Get tips to help you improve the way your website is found and displayed by search engines.
- Increasing website traffic
Find out how to attract customers to your website and keep them coming back.
- Website analytics and performance management
Do you want to know how effective your website is? Find out how visitors reach your website, what they do there, and how often they visit.
- BDC free website assessment
Get a free analysis of up to 5 pages of your website with scores on its accessibility, user experience, popularity and design.
Tools for collaboration and sharing
A website can be your most important marketing asset. Potential customers may contact your business and make buying decisions based on the availability and quality of the website. Prospective employees review websites in detail before submitting a resume, and possible suppliers study websites to determine the business' validity and product range.
When you develop a website, include a strategy to ensure your content is kept up-to-date long after the launch. An outdated website can reflect poorly on your business.
There are services and online tools that could add value for your website visitors, such as:
- Displaying your social media activity by inserting embed code in the html of your website
- Adding widgets and other useful web tools to your website, such as clocks, online maps or the local weather
- Including a customer feedback mechanism, such as reviews or commenting
- Enabling Real Simple Syndication (RSS) can allow users to subscribe to information updates from your website
Other online sales and marketing strategies for your website can include:
- Customer Relationship Management systems that allow you to track prospects and clients
Content marketing — creating and sharing helpful content that can attract future customers through:
- Social networking
- Social bookmarking
- Media sharing (photos, videos, podcasts, audio files)
- Online marketing
Online marketing techniques like social networking, emailing and blogging are useful and involve little to no direct costs.
- What is customer relationship management?
In today's competitive market, it is vital for you to manage your relationships with your customers systematically, efficiently and profitably.
- Date modified: